The unprecedented health crisis caused by the Coronavirus (COVID-19), reminds us how fortunate we are to be part of a caring community dedicated to the well-being of others.
As an agency that serves the needs of those facing the immediate trauma of domestic and sexual violence, our response must focus on making their safety and security paramount.
In order to keep our clients and safe, we have taken the following steps which will remain in effect until further notice.
- Our headquarters at 753 Fairfield Ave., Bridgeport, is closed and the majority of our staff will be working remotely.
- Our 24/7 crisis hotlines will remain fully operational and staffed.
- Our Kathie’s Place safe house will remain open and staffed to protect clients who have left abusive relationships.
- Our support groups for Domestic and Sexual Violence are now meeting virtually. Please email Anne Morcone at AMorcone@CenterforFamilyJustice.org for information on Domestic Violence Survivors support group and Gail Wiggins at GWiggins@CenterforFamilyJustice.org for information on our Pathways to Healing support group for sexual violence .
- We are instructing our Direct Services Team to conduct ongoing one-on-one counseling sessions by telephone and via virtual meetings.
- Our Court Advocacy Team will continue to operate within parameters established by the state related to criminal and civil court operations, but will conduct client meetings by telephone.
- We are postponing client-focused programs such as our Rise & Thrive Self-Sufficiency Series.
- We are accepting donations of items such as toiletries, diapers and non-persishable food items on a limited basis on weekdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. only. Drop-offs must be scheduled in advance by calling our main number at 203-334-6154.
- We are asking our on-site attorneys to consult with clients by telephone.
- We have instructed our community partners they cannot hold office hours here.
- We have temporarily suspended our Direct Service Volunteer program.
- We will not be holding any classes in our Bigelow Wellness Studio.
Community Engagement & Events
- We have instructed our staff to cancel any in-person meetings, trainings or participation in off-site events until further notice.
How YOU can help!
It remains imperative we meet the immediate needs of our clients experiencing domestic and sexual violence. Inevitably, our ability to hold community events that help us raise the funds and collect donations critical to providing these services will be impacted.
You can continue to support the adults and children we serve during this critical time by doing the following:
- Donating Virtual Gift Cards in small denominations to stores such as Target, Walmart, CVS & Stop & Shop. These gift cards will help our clients access things they need as our donation program is temporarily suspended. These gift cards can be sent via email to Mark Antonini at MAntonini@CenterforFamilyJustice.org
- As an alternate you may mail actual gift cards to Mark’s attention to our headquarters at 753 Fairfield Ave., Bridgeport 06604. While our offices are closed, we check the mail daily.
- Please donate to our COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund. Visit our website at CenterforFamilyJustice.org and click on the Donate button.
- Please follow us on social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for continued updates.
Finally, I would like to take a moment to thank our dedicated staff who continue to work to keep our clients safe and secure during this challenging time.
With my best wishes for your continued health and well-being,
Debra A. Greenwood
President & CEO.