The holidays are a wonderful time of year to share with family and friends, but they can be challenging and stressful for anyone facing the aftermath of domestic or sexual violence.
To help ease our clients’ burdens and make the season a special one, The Center for Family Justice welcomes donations focused on addressing the most immediate needs our clients.
There are many ways to get involved in the upcoming holiday season.
For Thanksgiving CFJ appreciates donations of the following:
- Gift cards to stores such as Target, Walmart and Stop & Shop help our clients make personal choices for their holiday needs. We prefer cards in denominations of $25 or less.
- Thanksgiving pantry staples such as canned vegetables, stuffing, gravy and dessert mixes, pasta, cereals, and sauces. (Please note we are unable to accept items which require refrigeration such as meats, poultry or dairy and instead, give our clients gift cards to make those purchases.)
- Donations of prepackaged snack items such as popcorn, nuts, granola bars, applesauce, and trail mix.
- Toiletry items. We are currently most in need of full-size body lotion and disposable razors, but gratefully accept full-size shampoos, conditioners, body washes and other personal hygiene products as well.
For the December holiday season, CFJ appreciates the following:
- Volunteer for our Adopt-a-Family program, which helps provide new holiday gifts to families living in our crisis and transitional housing programs. This program also benefits some families in crisis no longer living in our safe house, but still in need. This program typically requires a personal investment of $75 to $100 per family member; a willingness to shop for gifts on their wish lists and delivery to CFJ. Please email Beth Fitzpatrick at BFitzptrick@CenterforFamilyJustice.org to learn more about how to get involved.
- Help expand our holiday giving program with the purchase of individual new toys or gifts for our client holiday boutique. We love items such as Barbies (in all skin tones), LOL dolls, Marvel-inspired action figures, Lego, and art sets. Our teenage clients love to make personal choices and really love gift cards to stores such as Target, Walmart, H & M, Abercrombie and Aeropostale.
- Baby apparel items. New clothing and pajamas for boys and girls in sizes 6-months to 4 T is greatly appreciated. Please make sure tags are still attached.
- Help our clients make personal choices about fulfilling their families’ holiday wishes with donations of gift cards in denominations of $25 or less to stores including Target, Walmart, Stop & Shop, Walgreens, and CVS. Gift cards are greatly appreciated by our clients, as it allows them to choose the perfect gift for their loved ones.
Items We Cannot Accept for Storage and Capacity Issues Include:
- Used clothing, toys, and home furnishings.
- Premade holiday meals, turkeys, meats, poultry, and any kind of perishable food.
To learn more about fulfilling the holiday wishes of a client family please call our Community Relations Coordinator, Beth Fitzpatrick, at 203-334-6154 ext., 128 or email Beth at BFitzpatrick@CenterforFamilyJustice.org